Apprenticeships offer a more hands-on practical approach to learning, enabling you to gain real life experience while you earn and study towards a nationally recognised qualification.
Apprenticeships can take between one and four years to complete and are available in 1500 occupations across 170 industries, from construction and manufacturing to healthcare and technology. They are a great option for you if you want to get a head start in a particular industry and prefer a more hands-on learning experience.
There are different types of Apprenticeships
Intermediate Level Apprenticeships (Level 2): offers GCSE level equivalent Qualifications
Advanced Level Apprenticeships (Level 3): offers A-Level equivalent Qualifications
Higher Apprenticeships: - leads to level 4 qualifications and above.
Degree Apprenticeships: offers Degree Level equivalent Qualifications
In Year 12 you will undertake the Apprenticeship Support & Knowledge for schools and colleges programme (ASK) and attend awareness assemblies and mock assessment workshops.
If you are not quite ready for an apprenticeship or a job, you could try a traineeship with a local employer. Visit the Traineeships page on gov.uk
The Department of Education, working with Amazing Apprenticeships, have put together an Activity Pack with fun activities to help you discover the benefits of taking up an Apprenticeship that can be found here.
Degree Apprenticeships can provide valuable hands-on experience, a degree qualification and a head start in the industry of your choice with no student debt as university fees are often covered by the employer. Start your research on the Unifrog Apprenticeship tool and a useful tutorial video here.
“Unifrog has assisted me in the search for a degree apprenticeship, making it very easy to search for apprenticeships based on difficulty and location. Unifrog is excellent for students, and very easy and enjoyable to navigate through for everyone, no matter who you are or where your based.” Tayyab K Year 13
Case Studies - useful tips on how to spot Apprenticeship opportunities.
Hear from a PwC Apprentice and her journey through the process here
Read about the journey from Sixth Form to EY from a first year student undertaking a chartered manager degree apprentice at EY here
UBS Apprenticeship journey - technical apprenticeship
We have put together a list of useful Apprenticeship and Job search websites to help you find an apprenticeship.
- Top Apprenticeship Employers (top 100 Apprenticeship recruiters)
- Government Apprenticeships
- Government Apprenticeships Guide
- Help with your Apprenticeship Application
- Apprenticeship Entry Requirements
- Buckinghamshire Apprenticeships (put in postcode and search)
- Not going to University
- The Big Choice
- Get My First Job
- Jobs for School leavers
- Bucks Skills Hub
- Career Map
- Target Careers
- Future Talent Apprenticeships
- Amazing Apprenticeships
- Construction Apprenticeships
- Apprenticeships and Graduates
- Film and Theatre Apprenticeships
- Degree Apprenticeships UCAS
- Computer and Digital Apprenticeships
- Accelerate People Apprenticeships
- Business and Digital Apprenticeships
- Institute of Apprenticeships
- National Apprenticeships Show
- London Jobs Show
- Electrician and Plumbing Apprenticeships
- Motor Industry Apprenticeships
- Chef Apprenticeships
- Catering Apprenticeships
- Indeed Recruitment Agency
- Job Centre Online